Tuesday, May 13, 2014

“Only love could pick a nested pair of steel Bramah locks.”

Better late than never!

Beginning in April 2007, I started keeping a list of all the books I'd read the previous year. 2013-2014 was a good year for reading, continuing and refining my new trend of quality over quantity. (We'll see how this trend stands up against grad school for the next three years.)

Books
1) A Dance for Emilia, Peter S. Beagle
2) The History of Love, Nicole Kraus
3) Christopher and His Kind, Christopher Isherwood
4) Friendship of Convenience, Rufus Gunn
5) Aspects of the Novel, E.M. Forster
6) Kathleen and Frank, Christopher Isherwood
7) Dido and Pa, Joan Aiken*
8) Memoirs of Hadrian, Marguerite Yourcenar
9) A Boy's Own Story, Edmund White
10) Good Kings Bad Kings, Susan Nussbaum
11) City Boy, Edmund White
12) In the Woods, Tana French
13) All the Pretty Horses, Cormac McCarthy
14) The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Michael Chabon
15) The Reason I Jump, Naoki Higashida
16) The Swimming-Pool Library, Alan Hollinghurst
17) The Arrival, Shaun Tan
18) Breakfast at Tiffany's, Truman Capote
19) Hymn and Cocktail Sticks, Alan Bennett
20) Pawn in Frankincense, Dorothy Dunnett*
21) The Days of Anna Madrigal, Armistead Maupin
22) The Light Between Oceans, M.L. Steadman
23) The Ringed Castle, Dorothy Dunnett*
24) The Devil in the White City, Erik Larson
25) The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater
26) The Dream Thieves, Maggie Stiefvater

*re-reads
 

Top Five of the Year, in descending order

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Michael Chabon
The Days of Anna Madrigal, Armistead Maupin
The Dream Thieves, Maggie Stiefvater
Christopher and His Kind, Christopher Isherwood
Kathleen and Frank, Christopher Isherwood 


The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay was this year's best because, finishing it, I could imagine myself great. I could see greatness in others. I could imagine ordinary people leaping tall buildings with a single bound. I've enjoyed a lot of books, but the ones that stay with me are the ones where I discover little pieces of myself. 

I wrote a little about Christopher Isherwood in my personal statement. Here is an excerpt. It was a really good year.
 
Early this year, partially in an effort to understand where I might be heading with my own writing, I immersed myself in the writings of Christopher Isherwood. Having already read Berlin Stories and A Single Man in college, I went on to read Lions and Shadows, Down There on a Visit, Christopher and His Kind, and Kathleen and Frank.

Lions and Shadows is the book I wish I could hand anyone attempting to write about people in their twenties. It's great to read about Isherwood, pre-Berlin, trying to find himself as a writer in places of little or no inspiration; struggling to reconcile his calling as an artist with the pressure to come up with a solid career; consoling himself with this friends while simultaneously comparing himself to them and always coming up short; feeling most confident at the beginnings of things, before they've had a chance to become complicated. This is the way to talk about your twenties: at a distance, with fondness, and with hope.

Isherwood is famous for his depiction of a European turning point, and is also well known for the candor with which he revisits his stories. Down There on a Visit revisits ground covered in Berlin Stories. Christopher and His Kind revisits both those works while peeling back the light veneer of fiction covering both of them. In Kathleen and Frank, Isherwood does something completely different. He steps, for the most part, out of the spotlight. He dispenses with fictionalization altogether. He attempts to tell the story of his parents in their own words, through letters and diary entries.

These are not the parents he described in his own writing. These people are multifaceted, deep thinking, and kind, and may have understood him a great deal more than he realized. In Kathleen and Frank, Isherwood comes closest to walking in another’s shoes. The place he describes in Kathleen and Frank is not somewhere you could visit; it is his childhood, through the eyes of others.

Past years
2012-2013
2011-2012
2010-2011
2009-2010
2008-2009
2007-2008

 

2 comments:

  1. How did you like All the Pretty Horses? I read The Road and really liked it, but have heard all kinds of things, positive and negative, about Cormac McCarthy's (other) writing. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked it. I had only read The Road previously, which was pretty good preparation. This is some seriously good shootin' and swearin' and angstin'.

    ReplyDelete