Sunday, March 30, 2014

More than a mile

When it comes to the joy and necessity of walking a mile in someone's shoes, To Kill a Mockingbird does a pretty good job of explaining:
You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.
Nonetheless, I personally prefer this quote from Joan Aiken's Is Underground:
“She thought about Penny teaching her to read. 'What’s the point of reading?' Is had grumbled at first. 'You can allus tell me stories, that’s better than reading.' 'I’ll not always be here,' Penny had said shortly. 'Besides, once you can read, you can learn somebody else. Folk should teach each other what they know.' 'Why?' 'If you don’t learn anything, you don’t grow. And someone’s gotta learn you.'

Well, thought Is, if I get outta here, I’ll be able to learn some other person the best way to get free from a rolled-up rug.”
There are worse reasons to do what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment