Saturday, September 24, 2011

They built a Trader Joe's on Roosevelt, but that area isn't labelled

Where I live and where I work are both featured here, occupying predictably different positions.


I don't understand Chicago well enough yet to understand the geographic arbitrariness of some of this map, but I do know that as I drive to work the grocery stores disappear and the liquor stores and fast food joints take over. One of the things the center where I work does really well is snack time. Twice a week a full dinner is served at the after-school youth program, and the rest of the time the kids get a relatively healthy snack. Some of the kids get two snacks, since the school-age program which ends at 5:30 provides one as well, and at least five of the kids in the classroom where I spend most of my time stick around for the youth program as well.

I like to trash talk Wal Mart, but if they were to open a branch in North Lawndale I would have to grudgingly say something nice about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment