Friday, August 5, 2011

Yesterday, the Aged Ps and I drove up to Chicago to start the move-in process. I picked up my key and I took the first steps to getting my electricity service up and running. Strangely (or not so strangely, as my dad insisted), the electricity was already on and we got to enjoy the benefits of a wall air conditioner without paying for it. I will, however, be scrupulously honest, not to mention prudent, and call and declare myself once my paperwork goes through. I will then shell out every month like ComEd wants me to. In this area, at least, I am A Well Respected [Wom]an.
In others, I am less conservative. For instance, upon investigating my neighborhood further, these two things provided me equal joy:
The apartment itself is great. It's a studio on the fourth floor of what the incredibly helpful Apartment People representative called a two by four or something woodwork-y like that. It's a type of building that was favored by architects in the 60s, apparently.
It's a great space. The floors are hardwood, the kitchen is the perfect size, there's a bathtub, and I have more closet space than I've ever had in my life.
The only thing remaining is to make it a little more inviting. At the moment it's just white walls and empty spaces. I brought up a few things to get the party started, though, and the minute I began assembly I began to feel a little more mentally prepared for the year ahead of me.

I suspect I'm well on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment